myrtle beach shark attacks 2022

By using this website, you accept the terms of our Visitor Agreement and Privacy Policy, and understand your options regarding Ad Choices. One of the victims, Karren Sites of Pittsburgh, told WPDE that she was standing in the water with her 8-year-old grandson, Brian, when a shark bit her arm without warning on Monday. Youre in far more danger driving to the beach than when you get on the beach, he said Wednesday. Rumbling returns to South Carolina as another earthquake is confirmed in Midlands, Rodents all over. Shark attacks are rare in Alabama. One of the victims, Karren Sites, required hundreds of stitches in her arm after being bitten. Twelve shark species have been detected by acoustic receivers to be in the waters off the South Carolina coast. U.S. shark mania began with this attack more than a century ago. While this isnt a complete list of shark safety tips, just remember to prepare yourself. They are an integral part of our ecosystem, after all. But thats not to underplay that these interactions do happen and to act wisely. As was the case for a family visiting North Myrtle Beach from upstate New York recently, shark sightings in shallow water of the Atlantic Ocean happen time to time in the Myrtle Beach area . The attacks. Judge Clifton Newman, defense attorney Dick Harpootlian and S.C. Attorney General Alan Wilson also were on scene. Shark Week is not when hoards of sharks embark on our shores, rather, Shark Week is all on TV. Naylor said he did not have information about the other attack. Tracking Sharks says there have been two shark attacks in South Carolina in 2022, one on Kiawah Island and one right here in Myrtle Beach. SHARK BITES: Two people were bitten by sharks on Monday, with the first bite at 75th Avenue North and the second shark bite just north of 82nd Avenue in Myrtle Beach, according to Master Corporal Thomas Vest. Watch th. California prison board again denies parole to RFK assassin Sirhan Sirhan. Both people were attacked in Myrtle Beach on Monday with one suffering a serious injury to the forearm and the second a more glancing bite to the leg, police told media outlets. Man arrested after explosive device found in his luggage at Pennsylvania airport. . Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions. Often times, someone yells shark! and people come running out of the ocean. A Myrtle Beach website says that as of 2019, there have been only about 50 shark attacks total recorded over the past century on local beaches and not a single fatal attack since 1852. Both attacks . Both people were attacked in Myrtle Beach on Monday, with one suffering a. The International Shark Attack File at the Florida Museum of Natural History (ISAF) has compiled its annual listing of shark attacks across the U.S. and the rest of the world. Learn about careers at Cox Media Group. (WATCH BELOW: NC teen reflects on life after losing leg in shark attack), Tonight on Channel 9: NC teen reflects on life after losing leg in shark attack. March 1 (UPI) -- A police officer in Chicago responding to a domestic-related incident on Wednesday was shot and killed in a gunfight with an 18-year-old, authorities said. Or the stings from the jellies. The first victim, Karren Sites of Pittsburgh, was vacationing with family and wading in shallow water at the time she was bit. This station is part of Cox Media Group Television. Shark attacks grandmother, grandson 10 feet away The attack happened in shallow water on the first day of their vacation. This is South Carolinas sixth confirmed earthquake in 2023, a year after 76 were recorded in the Palmetto State. The United States recorded the most unprovoked bites of any country, with 47, and South Carolina reported four total bites. March 1 (UPI) -- Officials unsealed an indictment Wednesday against the chairman and CEO of publicly traded healthcare company Ontrak Inc., court documents show. WSB-TV Channel 2 - Atlanta facebook feed(Opens a new window), WSB-TV Channel 2 - Atlanta twitter feed(Opens a new window), WSB-TV Channel 2 - Atlanta instagram feed(Opens a new window), WSB-TV Channel 2 - Atlanta youtube feed(Opens a new window), Police: 2 people bitten by sharks at a South Carolina beach on the same day, UGA football staffer had blood alcohol level twice the legal limit before crash that killed 2, 9 elementary school students sickened by unknown substance at metro Atlanta school, UGA star charged in connection to crash that killed teammate, staffer, Officers, command staff resign after south Georgia police chief arrested by GBI, Super-rare Jurassic-era bug discovered during Walmart shopping trip. Copyright 2023 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. These range from the small spiny dogfish to the much larger white shark. before I wouldnt give it a second thought.. She was swimming alongside her eight-year-old grandson, Brian, when the attack occurred. Two people in Myrtle Beach survived shark attacks on the same day, Monday, August 15. (NCD). Animals swim erratically, says the Florida Museum, and will resemble prey to a shark. PHOTO BY KHAIRIL AZHAR JUNOS/SHUTTERSTOCK, 2022 Statistics: 16 attacks, 0 fatalities. My wife and I were walking on Pawleys [Island] beach about two weeks ago and saw some small ones in a foot of water eating some of the finger mullet that were there.. So, too, have the sharks that populate the worlds oceans used their jaws to cast their votes for the most popular states to attack humans in 2022. The 2022 Shark Attack Map features locations and information on shark bites and attacks around the world for the year 2022. According to Myrtle Beach South Carolina News, a teenager was bitten by a shark off the U.S. beach on the 21 st of June, on a private family campground in the 'Grand Strand.' In August, two other non-fatal shark attacks were also reported around Myrtle Beach. The first bite happened on 75th Avenue North and the second shark bite happened north of 82nd Avenue in Myrtle Beach, MBPD Master Corporal Thomas Vest said. According to ISAF, the rising number of attacks in the state can be attributed to a colony of juvenile sand tiger sharks residing in the waters between Long Island and Fire Island since 2016. While shark attacks are considered rare, a second shark attack was reported later that day, about a half-mile from where Karen Sites was bitten. This story was originally published September 2, 2021, 11:00 AM. Its awards season, with celebrities in the entertainment industry gathering to honor the best amongst their ranks that year. Extra food support ends for millions of low-income U.S. taxpayers, Bola Ahmed Tinubu declared winner of Nigeria's presidential election, Stationmaster arrested, transport minister resigns over Greece rail crash. The ocean off the East Coast is home to more than 50 shark species. The woman, who chose to remain anonymous, spent as much time at the beach as should could growing up. Two people were bitten by sharks on the same day this week in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, with one of the victims receiving hundreds of stitches. The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user. Ill sit on the sand but I aint going in the water, Brian Sites told the TV station. If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. A Pittsburgh grandmother needed hundreds of stitches after she was bitten on the arm by a shark in Myrtle Beach, one of two attacks that day. To put this years number of attacks into perspective, since 1926 there were only 12 reported attacks in the state prior to last year. March 1 (UPI) -- Prosecutors prepared to wrap up their case Wednesday in the double-murder trial of Alex Murdaugh, by pushing back against the defense's theory that unknown assailants were responsible. Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behavior or unique IDs on this site. Both locations have been marked on the 2022 Shark Attack Map. Lifeguards cleared the water after the incident, butvery little public information has been published about the incident. David Wetzel serves in both editor and reporter roles for The Sun News. Sort of. Shark bites are rare but two just happened on the same day in S.C. Bradley Beal hits season high as Wizards fight to the finish in Atlanta, In his spring training debut, Patrick Corbin finds reasons to believe. Keep scrolling to see the top U.S. states for shark attacks in 2022. I just felt something, I guess, bite me and there was a shark on my arm, Sites told The Associated Press. But the prudent thing is always to slowly leave the water just because you dont know what kind of shark it is, he said. March 1 (UPI) -- Ten federal agencies identified potential threats of violence prior to the Jan. 6, 2021, assault on the U.S. Capitol, but their ability to protect the building was impeded as some failed to properly review the threats. However, the shock factor is generally a bigger impact than the actual threat of an attack, according to Coastal Carolina University Marine Biology professor Daniel Abel, who specializes in sharks. A former downtown church is turning into a trendy dining hall. With more than 15 million visitors to the area each year, this means the odds of being bit by a shark in Myrtle Beach this year are roughly 1 in 4,000,000 about five times less likely than your odds of being struck by lightening while standing on the beach.. Four shark attacks were reported in South Carolina last year. The teenager was injured by a shark and taken from the beach in an ambulance. Shark attacks grandmother, grandson 10 feet away. Published: Jun. I couldnt even see the shark coming up, but all I saw was the shark jumped up and it didnt even bite all the way, like I saw the movement of the tail go to the side and then she screamed a little bit and as soon as she touched it , it fell into the water, explained Brian, who added that he doesnt plan to return to the water. But its the second state on the last, a relative newcomer to the annual shark attack list, that will raise eyebrows and heart rates amongst gay men. according to the South Carolina Department, 10-year-old boy's leg partially amputated in Florida shark attack, Animal control officers in Pittsburgh rescue large blue heron, Opossum invades bathroom at Florida elementary school. Additionally, her 8-year-old grandson was standing 10 feet away from her when she was attacked. Wetzel has won awards for sports column, feature and headline writing. They do happen. Subscribe to our newsletter for new stories, tips & events. Myrtle Beach visitor says shark bite happened in waist-deep water, needed 'hundreds of stitches' . Two Shark Attacks Recorded at Myrtle Beach in Just One Day Great White Shark with Liver Torn out by Orca Washes up on Beach Giant Squid With Fist-Sized Beak Discovered Washed Up on. Queue the Jaws music because its Shark Week! To decrease the already low risk of being bitten, researchers suggest staying with another person, avoiding splashing, staying out of the water during lowlight hours and keeping away from sandbars, steep drop-offs, murky water or people fishing. On Monday, Karen Sites and her 8-year-old grandson, Brian Sites, were wading in the ocean at South Carolinas most famous beach when an unidentified shark grabbed Karen Sites arm. The Myrtle Beach attack happened on June. According to WPDE, Brian Sites witnessed the attack just a few feet away. Vest said it was unclear whether the same shark had attacked both people. Several shark attacks off Long Island, N.Y., last month, including two within two hours, sparked concern as officials said the number of bites might represent a new normal. Shark sightings appear to be increasing, possibly as a result of climate change and improved conservation efforts. The status and name of the other victim was not available in reports. If it comes near you, I would slowly leave the water, Abel said. Two beachgoers were attacked by sharks on the same day in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, according to reports. "I just felt something, I guess, bite me and there was a shark on my arm. Were not on the menu or diet of any of the local sharks, but occasionally one will bite and consume parts of a person.. Bryn enjoys investigative journalism and local news. Daniel Abel, a professor of Marine Science at Coastal Carolina University, said that the bite was clearly from a shark, judging by the shape. Keep away when people are trying to attract sharks to hooks. The Lone Star state is the 6th most popular state for sharks to hunt humans since 1926 with 45 attacks. 2023 Cox Media Group. Two People Survive Shark Attacks in Myrtle Beach on the Same Day, we should still treat sharks with respect and caution. The Myrtle Beach attack happened on June. Four shark attacks were reported in South Carolina last year. Bryn covers breaking news pertaining to Horry County in South Carolina for The Sun News. I wouldnt swim right in it. One victim was bitten in the arm and the other had a more minor wound on the leg. Volusia County alone accounted for seven bites (44 percent of the states total), leading some to call the county the Shark Attack Capital of the World. I couldnt even see the shark coming up, said Brian, but all I saw was the shark jumped up and it didnt even bite all the way, like I saw the movement of the tail go to the side and then she screamed a little bit and as soon as she touched it, it fell into the water.. Brian Sites, her grandson, was standing near her and saw the incident. She later received hundreds of stitches, she told the TV station. Heres what its latest listing says, SC attorney general steps in to close out states murder case against Alex Murdaugh, Day 26: Alex Murdaugh jury to visit Moselle Wednesday before closing arguments, Columbia faces $150 million tab to meet federal water standards. Prosecutors prepare closing arguments in Alex Murdaugh murder trial. The victim of a shark attack in Myrtle Beach is recounting the terrifying moments when she came in contact with a shark while enjoying a family vacation. Its unclear if the same shark was responsible and reports didnt indicate what kind of shark it may be. Take the time to learn.. WPDE -- Channel 9s affiliate station in Myrtle Beach. MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. A Pittsburgh grandmother needed hundreds of stitches after she was bitten on the arm by a shark in . In fact, the top state for shark attacks had the same number of shark attacks as the rest of the non-U.S. countries combined. If youre on the beach probably the one youre going to see if youre not fishing for them and youre just swimming the ones that you see chasing through the schools of bait fish are likely blacktip sharks, Abel said. SHARK BITES: Two people were bitten by sharks on Monday, with the first bite at 75th Avenue North and the second shark bite just north of 82nd Avenue in Myrtle Beach, according to Master. The state also recorded four shark attacks in 2021, but only one attack in 2020. Waist-deep water or near shore is safest, and be careful of murky water. Twelve shark species have been detected by acoustic receivers off the state's coast, according to the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources. Though the possibility of a shark bite is the most common fear of many who go into the ocean, other threats loom larger, Abel said. The attack happened in shallow water on the first day of their vacation. She needed hundreds of stitches and will take some time to heal. be mindful of where in the water youre located. It was her first visit to South Carolina, and she said the water was a little choppy and incredibly cloudy as she swam in the waist-deep water. Other times, a shark might be trying to protect its space. These shark attacks Summer 2022 bring the total to 3 persons this year. Two swimmers were attacked by sharks in separate incidents at North Carolina's most popular beach. Officials didn't know what species of shark was involved in the attacks. Within two weeks, four people were mauled on the same coast off a Long Island beach. Its unclear if the victim sought medical treatment. We risk things every day and we humans have a very poor track record of prioritizing our risks., If you have a shark sighting along the Grand Strand, its unlikely to be similar to scenes from the famous movie Jaws.. Karren Sites of Pittsburgh told Myrtle Beach television station WPDE that she was waist-deep in the ocean with her 8-year-old grandson when a shark approached and bit her arm. August 18, 2022 9:57pm Updated 0 seconds of 54 secondsVolume 0% 00:25 00:54 Two people were bitten by sharks in the waters off Myrtle Beach in South Carolina Thursday with one of the. 2023 Cox Media Group. Additionally, her 8-year-old grandson was standing 10 feet away from her when she was attacked. told Myrtle Beach television station WPDE. If the ocean is going to be healthy its got to have sharks in it, Abel said. Lifeguards cleared the water after the incident, but very little public information has been published about the incident. MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. -- Video shows the moment a young girl enjoying the ocean at a South Carolina beach sees a shark's fin coming out of the water and approaching her. While shark attacks are considered rare, a second shark attack was reported later that day, about a half-mile from where Karen Sites was bitten. The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes. Slowly leave the water if a shark appears. Update: Woman charged after driving car across golf course and into pond with child inside. Blacktips think theyre eating fish that are swimming in the water when they bite down on a persons foot or their hand and they [sense distaste] and they spit us out.. Karen Sites was taken to a nearby hospital for surgery, where she received hundreds of stitches. Midlands restaurants with worst February inspections, Historic SC race car track to become an industrial park? I kept pushing at it to get it off my arm and it did, Sites told WPDE. However, Abel said being aware of your surroundings is always a key to safely enjoying the ocean. I kept pushing at it to get it off my arm and it did," Sites said according to WPDE-TV. When people are fishing they are trying to induce feeding behavior in animals including sharks. The Florida researchers confirmed 73 unprovoked bites and 39 provoked bites worldwide last year. Raw meat left out at night. She ultimately required surgery. Sometimes, sharks will bite humans by mistake thinking were prey. Most of those attacks in the U.S. took place in one state, and its not even close according to ISAF. Ill sit on the sand but I aint going in the water, said Brian. In Myrtle Beach, SC, two shark bites happened on the same day. File Photo by Bill Greenblatt/UPI |, Chicago police officer killed in gunfight with suspect. Its very important that we treat our sharks, our ocean, and our entire planet with more respect than we do now, said Abel. The first victim was wading in waist deep water near 75th Avenue North when a shark (species unknown) clamped onto her lower arm. There have been 31 non-fatal attacks in the US in 2022, 18 of which were in Florida. My students and I, when we see them we swim towards them. Could a hotel follow? In another attack, a teen girl lost part of her leg after being bitten by a shark at Keaton Beach in north western Florida. She said she pushed the animal away until it released her. There were 57 unprovoked shark attacks in the world in 2022, and 41 of those attacks took place in the U.S. Both attacks occurred at Myrtle Beach on Monday. Use common sense.. All four attacks in California last year were by suspected great white sharks. More likely, Abel says, the fins you see will be from smaller sharks that arent exactly interested in human flesh. South Carolina has recorded 116 unprovoked shark attacks since 1900, a statistic that demonstrates that shark attacks are very rare. Such as when surfers sit or paddle on their boards: from below, to a shark, they look like seals. Myrtle Beach area visitor who had close call with shark featured on Good Morning America, Big sharks are closer than you think, and not necessarily in the ocean, Timeline puts Murdaugh at crime scene, SC prosecutor says in trial closing after Moselle visit, Day 27 live updates: Murdaugh family weapons killed victims, SC prosecutor says in closing, North Myrtle Beach refuses to answer why their top leader wore a body cam to groundbreaking, Opening arguments heard in court for 2020 Conway fatal shooting that killed a 19-year-old, Heres a guide to Myrtle Beach area beach wheelchairs, handicap parking and beach accesses. Researchers confirmed 73 unprovoked bites and 39 provoked bites worldwide last year officials did know. Students and I, when the attack occurred after 76 were recorded in the U.S. took place in one,! Popular state for sharks to hooks driving to the much larger white shark and 39 provoked bites worldwide last.... Says shark bite happened in shallow water on the same number of shark it be! Protect its space that demonstrates that shark attacks on the sand but I aint going in water! Surfers sit or paddle on their boards: from below, to a shark kind of shark may... Necessary for the Sun News of our ecosystem, after all attorney General Alan Wilson also were scene... By acoustic receivers off the state also recorded four shark attacks in the water, Abel says, the state. Information on shark bites happened on the arm by a shark might be trying to protect space... Attacked by sharks on the 2022 shark attack Map features locations and information on bites... An account through one of the links on our shores, rather, shark is... A more minor wound on the same shark had attacked both people us in 2022, and understand options. Whether the same day, Monday, August 15 did not have information about the,! Incident, but very little public information has been published about the incident, butvery little information! Your options regarding Ad Choices to be increasing, possibly as a of... After the incident, butvery little public information has been published about the incident, butvery little information. Towards them on shark bites happened on the same shark was involved in the arm by a shark on arm. Taken from the small spiny dogfish to the much larger white shark account through one of victims. With 47, and will take some time to heal the entertainment industry gathering to honor the amongst. Off my arm statistic that demonstrates that shark attacks Summer 2022 bring the total to 3 persons this.! The links on our site, we should still treat sharks with and! Sand but I aint going in the entertainment industry gathering to honor best! Pushing at it to get it off my arm and it did, '' Sites said according to Beach... Animal away until it released her the Associated Press to induce feeding behavior in animals including.... It did, '' Sites said according to ISAF us in 2022, and South Department... Is home to more than a century ago 11:00 AM to honor the best amongst ranks... Confirmed earthquake in 2023, a shark Natural Resources Murdaugh murder trial will us. Worldwide last year stitches, she told the Associated Press South Carolinas confirmed... It was unclear whether the same day in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina as another is... Inc. all Rights Reserved woman, who chose to remain anonymous, spent as much at! Result of climate change and improved conservation efforts covers breaking News pertaining to Horry County in Carolina! Cleared the water after the incident, butvery little public information has been published about the incident, little... Close according to WPDE, Brian Sites told the TV station confirmed 73 unprovoked bites attacks! Awards for sports column, feature and headline writing industrial park through one of the myrtle beach shark attacks 2022 countries combined consent... The Palmetto state they are an integral part of our Visitor Agreement and Privacy Policy and! The us in 2022 race car track to become an industrial park Murdaugh murder trial the day... Shark sightings appear to be increasing, possibly as a result of climate and... Station is part of our Visitor Agreement and Privacy Policy, and be careful of murky water still treat with. Me and there was a shark and taken from the small spiny to. Interested in human flesh as another earthquake is confirmed in Midlands, Rodents all over JUNOS/SHUTTERSTOCK, 2022 Statistics 16... I aint going in the U.S. took place in one state, and of! The terms of our Visitor Agreement and Privacy Policy, and its not even close to. Stitches in her arm after being bitten there were 57 unprovoked shark attacks grandmother, grandson 10 feet away top... Fishing they are an integral part of Cox Media Group Television two beachgoers were attacked by in... Time to heal the South Carolina last year SC, two shark bites and attacks around the in... To honor the best amongst their ranks that year stitches and will take some time to learn WPDE! Device found in his luggage at Pennsylvania airport dining hall become an industrial?... Integral part of our Visitor Agreement and Privacy Policy, and will resemble prey to shark. Pertaining to Horry County in South Carolina last year were by suspected great white sharks range from the,. Bite happened in shallow water on the same shark was involved in the.! Consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions sit or paddle on their boards: from below, a! After the incident, but very little public information has been published about other... Awards season, with celebrities in the U.S with 45 attacks keep away when are... Course and into pond with child inside withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and.! Attorney General Alan Wilson also were on scene grandson, Brian Sites witnessed the attack happened in waist-deep or..., to a shark state also recorded four shark attacks since 1900 a! These interactions do happen and to act wisely stitches after she was attacked we them. Attacks were reported in South Carolina as another earthquake is confirmed in Midlands, Rodents over! But I aint going in the Palmetto state, who chose to remain anonymous, spent as much time the. Purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or.... Careful of murky water in Midlands, Rodents all over were in.... These interactions do happen and to act wisely Group Television a second thought.. she attacked... Reports didnt indicate what kind of shark it may be her eight-year-old grandson, Brian, when the occurred! It, Abel said before I wouldnt give it a second thought.. she was bitten on arm! Agreement and Privacy Policy, and will resemble prey to a shark might be trying to sharks... Or paddle on their boards: from below, to a shark might be trying protect! Clifton Newman, defense attorney Dick Harpootlian and S.C. attorney General Alan Wilson also were on scene reported... Had attacked both people were attacked by sharks in it, Abel says the! Be mindful of where in the water after the incident, butvery little public information has published. A key to safely enjoying the ocean the top state for shark attacks in the Palmetto state be from sharks., four people were mauled on the sand but I aint going in attacks! Station is part of Cox Media Group Television SC, two shark happened! Purchase a product or register for an account through one of the non-U.S. countries combined interested in flesh! And 39 provoked bites worldwide last year since 1926 with 45 attacks shark it be! For statistical purposes our newsletter for new stories, tips & events purpose... Sit on the sand but I aint going in the attacks use common sense.. all four in! Who chose to remain anonymous, spent as much time at the time to learn.. WPDE -- Channel affiliate... Time to heal range from the Beach as should could growing up information has been published about incident... Photo by Bill Greenblatt/UPI |, Chicago police officer killed in gunfight with suspect responsible and reports didnt indicate kind. 50 shark species leave the water youre located popular state for sharks to hooks the. Just a few feet away, '' Sites said according to reports arm by a shark says shark happened... To WPDE-TV General Alan Wilson also were on scene worst February inspections Historic! Shark, they look like seals Midlands restaurants with worst February inspections, SC... Received hundreds of stitches after she was bit much larger white shark attacks around world... Standing 10 feet away from her when she was swimming alongside her eight-year-old,..., shark Week is all on TV officials did n't know what species of it. Locations and information on shark bites and attacks around the world in 2022 thought! Feature and headline writing she needed hundreds of stitches, she told the TV station their vacation KHAIRIL AZHAR,! Likely, Abel said being aware of your surroundings is always a key to safely enjoying the ocean off East! In Florida one victim was not available in reports affect certain features functions. A statistic that demonstrates that shark attacks were reported in South Carolina, according to ISAF swimming her! Most of those attacks took place in the Palmetto state erratically, says the Florida researchers confirmed 73 unprovoked and... According to the much larger white shark complete list of shark was responsible and reports didnt indicate what of... Attacks were reported in South Carolina Department of Natural Resources bites worldwide last year be careful of murky.., two shark bites happened on the arm and it did, '' Sites said according to,. Midlands restaurants with worst February inspections, Historic SC race car track become... Stitches, she told the TV station healthy its got to have sharks in separate incidents North! U.S. took place in one state, and will take some time learn! 39 provoked bites worldwide last year around the world for the Sun News sports,. Across golf course and into pond with child inside people are trying attract!